Its no secret that I am fascinated by history. That’s right I’m a history buff! And when history mixes with intense drama and compelling plots I can’t keep away. That’s why I am so excited about FX Networks upcoming series Taboo premiering January 10th!
Who doesn’t enjoy a dark and gritty tale of tarnished legacies, enemies, dangers lurking at every turn and a family drama enthralled in mystery with a sprinkle of love and good old treachery! That’s why to get you as much excited about Taboo as I am I have put together these very important facts about 19th century London to sharpen your knowledge surrounding the setting of Taboo.
Quick Early 19th Century Facts:
- By 1814 several shipping docks had already been built in London – Including the West India Dock, London Docks and East India Dock.
- During the 19th Century, London was transformed into the world’s largest city.
- During this time London became a trading capital.
- While the city grew London’s poverty also grew. Writers like Charles Dickens immortalized the reality of the poor in novels like Oliver Twist.
- Things only got worst: sewage, coal, fires, unclean bodies were horrible. No one was immune rich and poor both suffered because of the overpopulation in London.
- To add to the grittiness every surface in London was covered with soot. and the famous London fog was due mostly to the burning of coal.
Now you have the setting and here you have – TABOO.
“Set in 1814, Taboo follows James Keziah Delaney, a man who has been to the ends of the earth and comes back irrevocably changed. Believed to be long dead, he returns home to London from Africa to inherit what is left of his father’s shipping empire and rebuild a life for himself. But his father’s legacy is a poisoned chalice, and with enemies lurking in every dark corner, James must navigate increasingly complex territories to avoid his own death sentence. Encircled by conspiracy, murder and betrayal, a dark family mystery unfolds in a combustible tale of love and treachery.”
Check out the show, premiering January 10th, and visit www.TabooGiveaway.com for a chance to win diamonds in an exclusive giveaway. There will be three different chances to win $3,000 worth of diamonds.